Monday, March 21, 2011

The Ugly Side of Me

I have a little confession to make.  I shouldn’t even admit this because it reveals my ugly side, and I like to think of myself as being above this sort of thing, but apparently I’m not. 

I’ve got this kid in my class who is ULTRA competitive.  Seriously, no matter what we’re doing he has to be first.  (His mom even said that when he goes to the bathroom he races himself to see if he can wash his hands before the toilet stops flushing.)  I’ve never understood this level of competitiveness.  I mean, I’m all for a little competitive spirit and all, but he goes so far as to make up excuses when he’s not first at something; to me, that’s where healthy competitiveness crosses over to poor sportsmanship, and I loathe poor sportsmanship.

What’s this got to do with me, you ask?  Well, we got out the jump ropes the other day, and he, of course, has to be the fastest and the best.  And, as I’m always one to give credit where credit is due, I have to admit that I was quite impressed with his jump roping prowess.  He is good…really, really, good.  But guess what?

There’s another kid in my class who’s even BETTER!  And, oh man, I shouldn’t even admit this, but, well…I kind of, sort of, well, maybe…I got a COMPLETE and TOTAL kick out of watching this other kid be better than him.  It’s petty, immature, and totally beneath me, I know.  I mean, I am the teacher after all, but what can I say?  Spend enough time around 6-year olds and every now and then you wind up thinking just like ‘em!

No comments:

Post a Comment