Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oh How Well I Know Thee

So last week I posted about my ugly feet and mentioned it was either that or a letter to the editor I was writing.  Well, the letter actually made it into the paper.  I was quite excited and even got a little choked up as I read it…again and again and again! 

Something about seeing my words on real, live paper, and not just on my computer screen, was a little bit thrilling.  Yes, I know it’s just a letter to the editor and it’s completely insignificant, but still…it was a big deal for me.

Anyway, I’m reading it for the umpteenth time and my daughter walked in and said, “Whatcha’ reading?”

“Well,” I said, “I’m reading a letter I wrote to the editor.”

There was a teeny tiny twinge of pride in her voice.  Granted, it was minuscule, but I know I heard it.  (When 99% of what I do only serves to annoy her, I am very tuned into that 1% when I don't, by some miracle of miracles, annoy her.)

She then said, “Mom, wow, when did you do that?  Why didn’t you tell us?” (And just like that, folks, she’s back to being annoyed...oh well, it was nice while it lasted.)

“I didn’t mention it,” I said, “because I didn’t think you’d be interested.”

“What’s it about?” 

“It’s school stuff,” I answered, “about the budget cuts to education.”

“Well, what’s it say?” she asked.

“Why don’t you read it for yourself?”  I suggested.

“Nah,” she said, and walked away.

Hah!  I knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment