Friday, March 18, 2011

So what’s the Going Rate for a Tooth These Days?

One of my students came in yesterday morning full of excitement; in his hand was a little, green tooth box.  Being’s as it was St. Patrick’s Day, I assumed the little green treasure was leprechaun-related.  I was wrong.  My student quickly corrected me, stating that it was the tooth he had lost the night before. 

He proceeds to tell the class how he lost the tooth while he was going to the bathroom (um, that’s a visual I didn’t really need, thank you very much).  He then explains how he put the tooth under his pillow, went to sleep, and woke up to find $20 under his pillow.

Twenty dollars!  For a tooth (and he even got to keep the tooth)?  Excuse me?  Surely I had heard him wrong.

As luck would have it, I have a real dollar bill in my classroom (we use real money to count the days in school, and, well, since we’ve been in school 121 days, we now have $1.21).

So I point to the real dollar bill and say, “Do you mean you got a dollar…like the one that’s right there?”

“Yes,” he said, “it was just like that…” 

Whew, I’m thinking…and then he finishes his sentence.

“…except it had a 20 on it, not a 1, and there was a different person on it.”

Dangit, I’m thinking…Twenty big ones?  For a tooth?  I want some of that action.

My wheels immediately started turning…maybe I could start plucking my teeth out, give them to him, and then he can give me the $20 bucks from his very generous tooth fairy.  Hey, at $20 a tooth, I’ll have that MacBook I’ve been coveting in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment