Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snack Time

Call me Pollyanna, but I love almost everything about my job…I know, don’t you just hate people like that?

If it makes you feel any better, the things that I don’t like about my job I really don’t like.  For example…yard duty.  I hate, hate, H-A-T-E yard duty.  Well, actually that’s not entirely true (sorry)…it’s more of a love-hate thing that I have with yard duty.

I love watching and listening to the interactions the kids have with each other…that stuff is priceless.  But I hate that I don’t get to spend that time doing something constructive… like grading papers, copying stuff, and/or, well, peeing!

So this week it’s my turn for morning yard duty and I’m walking around looking all large and in charge, whistle at the ready, just trying to catch someone doing something wrong.  Ha!  Just kidding…I’m really just pretending to be doing all of those things in case my principal’s watching!  Ha!  Just kidding again…I basically spend my time walking around making sure everyone stays safe…Honest Abe, I do!

We’re a few minutes into my morning sentence, er, I mean, into my morning yard duty and a cutie pie walks up to me and asks if I’ll open her snack.  This happens all the time…easy enough you think…but wait, not so fast…if a snack has anything that even resembles teeth marks and/or slobber from a kid trying to rip it open with his/her teeth then I’m not touching it!

Lucky for this kid, her snack still looks pretty much intact.  She hands it to me and I proceed to open it for her.  I glance at what it was and…you ready for this?  She, a second grader mind you, had brought dried seaweed for her morning snack.  My husband brought that stuff home one day and it was nasty!  Whatever though…what she brings for snack is certainly none of my business, so I open it for her and send her on her merry way.

I then glance around the snack tables and notice kids eating apples and oranges and cheese sticks and all kinds of other healthy snacks that I never ate as a kid.  Nope, no healthy food for me!  If I did get sent to school with a snack, and I’m guessing that I didn’t, but if I did, I’m sure it was something along the lines of a Ding Dong and a Pepsi!  (This, of course, totally explains why I have more cavities than I have teeth and why I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas!)

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm trying to say anything bad about my parents...really, I'm not.  It's just that this was back in the 70's...back in the days of Wonder Bread and Kool-Aid, baby!  We didn't have 2% reduced-fat milk, we didn't have 100% whole wheat bread, and we most certainly didn't have snack-sized packages of dried seaweed!  Dried seaweed for snack...who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment