Friday, April 8, 2011

25 Random Things

I am a complete sucker for all of those Facebook-type, getting-to-know-you lists.  I love how random they are and how you get to know things about a person that would not normally come up in a regular conversation.  So…if you want to know a little bit more about me, and I just know you do, well, here you go!


  1. I am an avid reader and love all things to do with words, books, and reading. 
  2. I am grateful to my parents for exposing me to a variety of music.
  3. One of my fondest memories growing up is coming home after school and hearing my mom on the piano singing and playing her heart out.  Another great memory is her taking me to the Bookmobile (I know I am dating myself with that little gem).  Perhaps my all-time favorite is my 21st birthday when my dad flew me to Vegas on a private jet.     
  4. I am a first grade teacher and absolutely love it.  There’s something magical about helping a child learn how to read. 
  5. I admire my husband for his integrity, my son for his determination and focus, and my daughter for the fact that she can cook, bake, knit and bait her own hook. 
  6. I can’t go a day without chocolate.
  7. I am not a political person at all, but I do sometimes wish that I were more politically aware.
  8. I love America and am grateful every day for all of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed so that I can be sitting here at my computer right now typing all of this nonsense about myself.
  9. About 20 years ago I realized my mom’s mental illness was not my fault and was nothing to be ashamed of. 
  10. I think a great pair of jeans is well worth the price.
  11. I grew up in a town that is constantly mocked, but that also has bragging rights to the best bakery on the planet, and while I have not actually traveled the planet, I have been to enough bakeries to know that this is true! 
  12. I don’t like beer or wine.
  13. I have no first cousins.
  14. I had a crush on pretty much everyone in high school.
  15. My mom and sister have both battled breast cancer. 
  16. I never knew my mother-in-law.  Ditto for my dad’s dad and my mom’s dad.
  17. I think a man who is crazy about his wife and kid is sexy. 
  18. Petty people drive me nuts.
  19. I am punctual and reliable.
  20. It upsets me when people think teachers have it easy or that we are overpaid.  When you factor in all the time we work unpaid (weekends, breaks, etc.), plus all of our own money that we spend on our students/classrooms, I assure you we are so not overpaid. 
  21. I think all the big clichés are true:  time really does fly, the best things in life really are free, time really does heal all wounds, children really are the future, a little kindness really does go a long way, and, of course, we all really should do onto others as we would have them do unto us.   
  22. I am a great baker, though strangely only a mediocre cook. 
  23. My dad is scary smart, and I am grateful that my kids have inherited some of this (though, unfortunately, I did not).   
  24. I love the fact that my son taught me how to play chess and that I still cannot beat him.
  25. I thank my lucky stars every day that at the ripe old age of 24 I somehow had my wits about me enough to marry a great man.

2 comments:

  1. These are 25 really great things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It seems a little self indulgent, but I always love reading these from other people so I think it's only fair to play along, too.
    Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete