Sunday, October 16, 2011

Gotta' Love...

Gotta’ love the kid who sits down at his desk at the beginning of the day, whips out a pair of sunglasses (from where, you don’t know, they just magically appear), puts them on his face, looks around at the rest of the kids like, ‘Oh, yeah, let the record show that we have just established that I am the coolest cat in the room,’ then looks at you like, ‘What?  You got a problem?  Go ahead, lady, do your thing…I’ve got my sunglasses on and I am ready to learn!’

Gotta’ love the kid who, in the middle of an art lesson, decides his front shirt pocket is the perfect storage place for his scissors and glue stick…and then looks around at everyone like, ‘How clever am I?  All the rest of you losers store your supplies in your baskets…big babies…I’ve got mine in my shirt…suckers!’

Gotta’ love the kid who, at the beginning of a lesson in which he gets to use a pen, takes the pen, clips it to his T-shirt collar, and says, “Look everyone, I’m a dentist!” and then laughs hysterically, and then says over and over, “I’m a dentist” (ha, ha, ha, ha), “I’m a dentist” (ha, ha, ha ha), “I’m a dentist” (ha, ha, ha, ha).  A pen clipped to T-shirt equals a dentist?  Really?  If you say so, kid. 

And my all-time favorite…Gotta’ love the kid who calls you over while on the playground at recess…looks at you all serious like…and with all the sincerity a 6-year old can muster says, oh so earnestly, “I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, and I’ve finally figured out who my favorite teacher is.”  I smile all big like, and just as I’m about to say, “Thank you,” I realize the name that came out of his mouth was not mine!  Ouch!  I must confess that one hurt just a little bit. 

Gotta’ love…working with kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment